Moonlight

 

Dear friends of piano music,

never in my life, I thought, Beethoven gave this composition the name "moonlight sonata". Beethoven appeared to me as a rather rational freethinker who did not value such enthusiastic romanticism. And right, the poet Ludwig Rellstab later made this sonata the moonlight sonata, while in Beethoven's lifetime it was called the "arbor sonata", since the master is said to have improvised it for the first time in an arbor.

A few years ago, at a suburban railway-station in Heidelberg, I heard an elderly lady with a little theatricality saying: "Life kept an arbor from me!" Where you think life owes you an arbor, the world is still All right, I thought, and until recently it was.

But thanks to Beethoven we have at least the arbor sonata, also known as the moonlight sonata ... Kind regards from Heidelberg! Kerstin

Comments