Golan Halima: Bicycle Nocturne (live)

Dear friends of piano music, 

do you happen to like to ride your bike at night? As a mother of two small children, one's primary interest at night is of course to sleep, to sleep as much as possible...but the more I think about the idea, the more I like it. The calm, steady movement, the summery, intense smells of nature, the silence, the light of the moon....oh yes, at some point I have to try it, but better not alone, it's not for anxious people like me. I remember two nightly bike rides a few years ago where I almost got the above magic - but only almost. I'll tell you: Once, with friends in Münsterland, I cooked and ate rice with sauce in the middle of a forest clearing at night, which was an unbelievable adventure for me, the anxious piano mouse, in the dark, far away from civilization, with a camping stove.. .....I was fascinated. And the bike ride over forest and field paths naturally took place at night, it was pleasantly cool after the heat of the day, the exercise made you pleasantly tired, the stars twinkled, the crickets chirped, and suddenly a blazing light blinded us, there was smoke ,it smoked and stank, and it made a noise straight out of hell. This sudden contrast almost triggered a small state of shock in me, so that it took me a while to realize that it was an agricultural harvesting vehicle that had shifted its work to the cooler night hours due to the great summer heat... .Yes, it was an enchanting experience, up until the encounter with the terribly large and horrible monster......

My second night bike ride wasn't that long ago, I still remember being fascinated by the almost complete darkness and the sound of the sea. I was on a small island, Baltrum, and my son got a dangerously high fever at night. Of course I had fever suppositories with me, but only one kind, so I needed another kind of suppository to be able to administer another dose four hours later. There is only one pharmacy on this island and it is on emergency service nightly, year-round. So I borrowed the neighbors' bike and pedaled off, into complete darkness, in search of said pharmacy. It was magical, I had no idea how dark it actually is when not everywhere, like here in the city, street lamps and other light sources shine at night. Of course, I wasn't particularly receptive to the poetry of the moment, because my son had a really high fever, and a sick child at the beginning of the holiday isn't exactly ideal, as well as being worried. But it was an amazing experience, Golan Halima's music reminded me of that, and I definitely intend to go on a night bike ride like this one day - assuming of course someone accompanies me.... Best regards

 

Comments